28 February 2013

¡Un Partido de Fútbol!

Last night we went to a football (soccer) match! There are two main football teams here and where I live is a Peñarol neighborhood.  Most of our friends cheer for Peñarol.  Last night a couple of our friends took us to a Peñarol match.  They were playing some team from Argentina.  Unfortunately in the last few minutes the other team scored and we couldn't come back so we lost 0-1.  I have been to football matches in England and Spain but we were just going, didn't know anyone who were fans, so we basically just chose a team (basically whichever people around us were cheering for).  This time we were with fans and they were getting into it so we got into it.  I don't get the people who get crazy into it.  I actually bought a book about football politics and violence while in Argentina.  There were only 150-200 people there who supported the other team.  I don't know how many I'm not good at estimating.  Basically the whole stadium were Peñarol fans.  It was fairly full and full capacity is 65000.  So they were outnumbered by quite a lot...I'm not sure how many people were there but there were a lot. Still the Argentines were outnumbered.  And they were frankly a little stupid.  They had barriers to separate them from the Peñarol fans and they knocked them down.  If you knock down the barriers set up to protect you what do you expect to happen.  The police came and took some away... There was a lot of smack talk and singing.  It was really fun!  I mean Peñarol should have won but it was still fun!  It was also a cool experience to go with Uruguayans and they could explain stuff to us and gave us a bit of an insight into Uruguayan football.
I think we might go to a Nacional game later this semester. That's the other team and quite the rival of Peñarol.  I have a friend who won't choose between them because it's kinda a big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment