16 September 2012

A Beautiful Day in Bath

Yesterday was fantastic!  A group of 12 of us went to Bath for the day.  We had to wake up early to catch a train so we could get to Bath around 8.  As we pulled in I could tell that the city was going to be fantastic.  It was absolutely beautiful.  Seeing as we got to the city at 8 in the morning, nothing was open.  So we split up into smaller groups to find places to eat breakfast since we were getting pretty hungry.  After breakfast the group I was with went into Bath Abbey!  It was absolutely beautiful!  The inside was breathtaking as well as the outside!  After we spent some time in the Abbey we met back up to go to the Roman Baths.  I wasn't sure what to expect and what all was there.  I expected to just see the baths and that would be it.  But the museum is really cool there.  It had the baths, (of course) but it also had a lot of remains from the temple that had been destroyed and it talked a lot about life when the Romans were there.  We also got to see the source of the spring, which is the only hot spring in Britain.  It was pretty amazing how they did that.  One thing that was crazy is how old it is.  It's from the 1st century!  The water in the pool was really disgusting and greenish brown....hopefully it was a bit cleaner when the Romans used it but I kinda doubt it.  After the Baths we separated into smaller groups again and some people went to the fashion museum and some went to the Jane Austen museum.  Since I wasn't really wanting to go to another museum I went with another group and we went exploring.  Someone found a walking path that went up to a great view of the city so we set off.  We stopped at a couple parks along the way and then went to hike the city.  It is pretty steep in many parts but we wanted to see a good view.  We may have made a wrong turn somewhere so we didn't quite find the spot we were looking for and the view of the city was mostly covered by trees but it was still pretty cool.  We had to meet everyone else pretty soon so we went back down.

So I was just thinking we would spend the whole day in Bath.  I wasn't sure what all we could do for a day but I just kinda assumed we would do that.  But someone had a better idea so yesterday morning I found out that I was going to go to Stonehenge!  So after the walk around town we all met up to take a bus to Stonehenge!  I didn't know if I was going to be able to make it to Stonehenge because I just didn't know a good time to go but it is only about an hour away from Bath so we went.  The whole tour was about 3 hours so that took up a good chunk of our day.  On the way we past a white horse on the side of a hill which is pretty famous but I don't know the name and there are a lot of white horses on the side of hills in that area and I don't know which one it is.  It is from the 1700s though.  My expectation of Stonehenge is that it was going to be a short walk away from the road and pretty isolated.  I was wrong...it was very close to the road and there was a road on the other side.  Which was quite surprising.  But it was still fantastic!  I was so glad that I got to see it!  We spent a while there taking pictures, some funny pictures, and then road the bus back.

When we got back to Bath we ate dinner and then went to a park like thing and played Ninja.  And I have to say it was one of the most entertaining games of Ninja I have ever seen.  It was pretty intense. After that we took the train, went back to Oxford, stopped and got ice cream at G&D's on the way back to our houses, and then we went to bed after a long, exhausting day.  But it was a great day!  It was so much fun and I got to spend some time with my new friends.  The group we went to Bath with was great!  We all had a blast.  I like how we were big enough to split into groups and do separate things when people wanted to do different things, but how we were still small enough that we could do things together and have fun as a whole group.  I love all the people who are studying abroad here with me and am very thankful that I get to know them and grow closer to them.

I'm sorry there are no pictures but the internet is really bad and I'm having problems downloading them but hopefully I can put pictures up on here soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment