15 January 2013

Month in the States

So I've been back in the States for just over a month and now I'm preparing to go to Montevideo, Uruguay.  I'm back and school and it's been great to see my old friends and see my Oxford buddies around campus!  It's been good seeing those people but I know I'm going to miss them terribly.  Some of my close friends are studying abroad too but in different places.  It's been good to see people and meet people I'll be spending the rest of my semester.

I'm really excited about going to Montevideo!!! Nervous but still excited!  It's a bit more intimidating than Oxford because it is going to be so different and the food and culture is going to be a bit more drastically different.

So everyone knows about England but a lot of people ask more questions about Uruguay.  The truth is I don't know a lot either.  I know that It is in South America and that the people are really calm and relaxed.  It'll be interesting actually living there and really seeing it.  I hope to work on my Spanish which will be hard living with Americans but I've been told that I should get involved with the youth at a local church and meet people and practice and get out and talk with Uruguayans and make friends.  Which will be hard for me but I hope I will actually do it and get the most out of my time so I can actually maybe be conversational in Spanish by the end of it.  

I'm really excited about getting to know the people on my trip better.  Which by the way we are a group with a grand total of 7 students.  Yupp there are just 7.  So a very, very small group and we will be living very close and spending a lot of time with each other.  We might get our own rooms though which might be nice for getting homework done.  I am really looking forward to it and hope that we can all be good friends in our small little group and get to know each other really well.  There were people in Oxford that I wished I could have gotten the chance to know better but it was hard even though we weren't all that big of a group.  So hopefully that seems good.  I haven't really gotten to talk to anyone but the two other girls seem nice and I know one of the other guys from previously classes.  

Speaking of Oxford it kinda just feels like a dream at this point.  It doesn't seem like I was actually there sometimes if that makes sense.  But I miss it and want to go back.  I'm a bit jealous of the people going this semester because I know they're going to see and do some many wonderful things and get to go to some of my favorite places.  Ali's, On the Hoof, G&D's, Primark etc. 

This month is the states has been good.  Not as restful as I would have liked and not super eventful but good.  I got to work and when I wasn't working I sometimes got to hang out with some of my best friends from back home and that was great to see them and get to spend time with them.  It was weird being back in the states after not being there for even just 4 months.  It must be crazy for people to return for the first time after a year or even years of being abroad.  But it was good to be back and seeing people.  It was sad to leave them and now sad to leave my college friends but I'm ready to move to this next chapter of my life and to experience Uruguay.  

Well I don't know what else to say for now.  I leave Wednesday and will get to Uruguay Thursday so I'm looking forward to being there and sleeping on a real bed (I'm crashing on the floor of my friends' dorm room right now.  At this point I'm just ready to be there and to see what God has in store for these next few months.   

No comments:

Post a Comment